Monday, September 15, 2008

St Louis Style Ribs

Last Saturday after dicking with the membrane on two slabs of ribs for 45 minutes I was ready to quit this crazy hobby. Tonight I have a new "rules to live by". Before ever trying something new in life, always check for a youtube video first - you are sure to save lots of the time and wasted effort.

This evening, Brent and I discussed where to get our ribs and whether we should trim them St Louis style ourselves or let the butcher. This lead me to youtube and a leap forward in my Q knowledge. I have attached a link to a video below that is great for trimming St Louis style ribs. I'm now convinced to trim the whole slab myself.

Now about that 45 minute thumb wrestling match with the membrane last Saturday. After watching the video I have come to the conclusion that the butcher at YB Meats removed the first membrane for me - what a nice young man. Maybe next time he will tell me that. You see I learned there are actually two membranes. The first appears relatively easy to remove. The second is on the bone and if removed the rib bones will fall out when you cook the ribs. I'm convinced I was trying to remove the second membrane, hence my headaches and part of the reason the bones fell out when we were done cooking.

Moral: a new rule to live by - always consult youtube first.

Enjoy the movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYMNLMQmM4s

No comments: